Sunday, September 24, 2017

My Weekend with Rotary

Friday, my club joined with Keyles Rotary club had a meeting where we all had to dress formally because it was our District Governors official visit. Keyle came right after school so I made her dress up in some of my clothes, a cute white jean skirt and a maroon top that she looked gorgeous in. I didn't understand much of what the Governor was talking about but I tapped Keyle on the shoulder when he started talking about us and we wete to wave at everyone in the room. For the rest of his speech all I understood was that he spoke about exchange students, inbound and outbound, spoke about Rotary activities, such as swimming, and hiking Jade Mountain, the tallest mountain in Taiwan which I would love to conquer, and something about Canada but I don't know enough Chinese yet to have caught the details, sadly. I gave the Governor some pins from West Kelowna and a Canadian flag pin which he put on right away. Rotary meetings are nice to meet and see everyone but not understanding much is kind of frustrating and tiring. The food at the place we go is also not my favourite, but I can always make dumplings when I get home.
The day after I slept in quite late and was woken up to being called down to the dining room for lunch. Later in the evening we went and picked up my ten year old bestie and headed to a BBQ with many of the Rotarians from my club. There, they had a little buffet set up with my favourite, sweet and sour pork, and had Taiwanese sausages that were very good. I was then told to not eat the black part because it causes cancer. Many superstitions I still need to get used to I guess. Sister, the little one and I all joined a new friend named Frances and some other young kids to a very needed airconditioned area where we got fruit as desert. I love fruit but sister doesn't. I also showed the kids how to kick and punch properly because they had this big punching pad, one of the ones that stands with water in the base, anyway they had no idea what they were doing so I impressed some people a little bit and taught them how to properly kick and punch. I wish we had one of those in the gym of our community, I forgot how fun they are. Xiao Ming, the little girl, then came over for a sleep over and we made pancakes with maple syrup at 12am. We always ask how she likes things but her answer is so-so every time. She also has unlimited energy I swear.
Again on Sunday I slept in a little bit and woke up for the walk to lunch at Nu Pasta, where I had delicious ravioli and a mango and lemon smoothie. We then went back home and watched an Amine in Chinese all afternoon until we headed to a fair at the Art Center which is close to my house. My rotary club, along with many others, had a stand selling food. I introduced myself to more Rotarians and their families as I had the last two days as well. Sometimes it gets a little tiring but I enjoy meeting everyone. I found a bunch of my fellow inbounds there as well and spent most of the night with them as well. We tried games and different foods, including a big ice cream cone which actually looked bigger in the picture. We took cute group photos too, as always. I was given an adorable charm by a friend named Christine and her cousin from her cousins jewellery stand. It is a pink stone in the shape of Taiwan. Its very cute. I was also given an awesome fox stuffy by my bestie that her and Christine won in a balloon shooting game! Keep in mind me and the adorable ten year old do not have a full language in common (yet at least) but I adore her and I think she likes me just as much too. This fox stuffy looks a lot like my dog back home, and I actually was trying to win one in a claw game earlier in the week but those games are made to lose here. I love my new little puppy. When it got dark we played with cool light things that you sling shot into the air and they come floating down looking alike to something from Avatar. My family and I ate at the new dumpling shop later in the evening and had my favourite curry flavoured fried dumplings. I need to learn how to make the curry flavoured ones. When we got home I organized my room even more because my cluttered desk was starting to annoy me so now my room is very tidy. Much different from how my room usually is back in Canada.






No comments:

Post a Comment