Friday, September 8, 2017

First Real Meeting

Tonight, I went to my first official Rotary meeting with my club, Taoyuan Fortune. At first I was very nervous because I needed to introduce myself in front of the entire club and there are around 40 people in my club I believe, plus the family members they brought with them. I had a little eight sentence introduction memorized in Mandarin but when I get nervous I tend to forget things.. so I was in front of everyone and only said about half of what I intended but everyone was just so happy to have me there that it didn't seem to matter! My hosting Rotary club here in Taiwan is a group of the most welcoming and friendly people I have ever met. Everyone in my host rotary club is willing to help me with any problems or feelings I may face over the year and that makes me feel so much better just in itself. Knowing that I have genuine people who can understand many things that could cause problems or stress and are ALWAYS open to talk is such a relief. Even many of the Rotary kids have come to me and told me that they are there for me and there to talk if I ever need anything.
Although many of the Rotarians couldn't speak English, or spoke very little, we did our best to communicate with the help of Jerry and Christine, the son and daughter of the wonderful couple who drove me there and home tonight. Christine is also good friends with Jasmine, my sister. Their mother, apparently forty eight, looks maybe thirty years old! Jerry will be flying out on Sunday to The United States to attend college, and I'm sure will miss the food here, especially the dumplings.
For the fourth time recently we sung Happy Birthday to one of the members and had yummy cake, but trust me its not as sweet as the cake I eat in Canada. Sweet is not really a prominent flavour in Taiwan, but it is my usual diet... so I often walk to Seven Eleven to buy sweet treats. Which will have to stop pretty quickly considering there aren't as many ways of exercise as I do in Canada. Hopefully my metabolism keeps up with all the carbs too.
Yesterday was my first time at the Taoyuan night market. Jasmine and I had fun shooting beebee guns at balloons, we have pretty good aim, by the way. Dad also bought us matching skirts that I'm super excited to go out in and will definitely make her take photos with me! I also was bought a very nice pair of pants. I am so spoiled.
Anyway, its late and I am starting to get a head ache for some reason, I'll write again soon.😄





No comments:

Post a Comment