Saturday, September 2, 2017

Ghost Festival

Last night, I attened a Roteract meeting and even though it was mostly in Mandarin, I learnt a lot about it, thanks to my host dad quietly translating the speaker for me. My dad is the Rotary representative for the group and they all call him "Uncle Jamie" which I thought was pretty cool and funny. After, we went to a barbeque with the Roteract club and here, barbequing is a lot different than in Canada, even with a big barbeque. They used torches to light the coals and it takes a lot longer to start up than the ones in Canada. It took two tries to get it going properly and then they showed me what they cook on a barbeque. They have toast with BBQ sauce, very thin and small pieces of pork, wrapped in the toast. As well as scewered vegiables wih sauce also. It tasted delicious, and I really want it again. Comparing to Canada though, the pieces of meat were very tiny. Canadian barbeques are huge pieces of meat and probably less drinking involved. Although, here it seems to be for an event or group, whereas in Canada its a very frequent activity just in our backyard. Oh, Roteract also gave me a cake. Along with the other one I recieved earlier in the day, for caring for a dog, that makes it two free cakes in one day! How does that even happen? People here are insanely generous. I was also really craving cake too.
This coming Tuesday is the actual day of Ghost Festival, but since most people are busy working and going to school, its celebrated a few days early so everyone is able to celebrate it. In this festival, we had a box of food and beverages to offer to the ghosts and Gods. We wrote our names on special flags and placed them in our box. Then there are three rotations, where you will light incense and place them first in your offerings, one for each person and all three times to the head of the tables, where there were two jars that hold them srtaight up. One incense for each person in both of the jars. The first jar is for the sky God, the second is for a local God. The incense guide the ghosts and Gods from the water bowls at the front, where they clean before the feast, and all the way down the rows of tables where their are many different typs of consumable offerings for them to enjoy in their after life. A lot of fake money is also burnt to ensure they are fortunate and well off in their after life. Before placing the insence in the jars you must bow your head and the incense three times, after places them you put your hands together and quickly pray before the next cycle begins. When the cycles are over you burn the rest of the money together. When all is done the food and drinks are all taken home to not be wasted. Waste is very frowned upon here.
In the afternoon my sister, father and I walked to a couple pet stores and saw very cool creatures. Eguinas, chameleons, tons of fish, nemos, dorys, puffer fish, even rainbow trout! So many cool types of lizards and snakes, wish I could see them in the wild too though. There were tarantulas, which I had just been trying to explain to them an hour before, and hedgehogs, bunnies, and a dog that I really fell inlove with. She really just wanted attention and love, this pet store took her in when someone found her on the street and have gotten rid of all bugs and have rehabilitated her to almost full health. I really hope, and don't doubt she will find a home once she is completely healthy. We then headed to Ama and Agongs house for dinner with a lot of the family. We feasted with ten different dishes, including one that my dad told me was his grandmothers favourite. I see why, it was very good. Another event that occurs this Tuesday, is Agongs birthday, so tonight was also a little celebration for him, where we sung happy birthday in English and Chinese, and had some cake of course. Sister and I also made him take a selfie with us.
It was also very rainy today and I love rain, it makes everything more pretty and way less hot. I can't take heat very well, but I do notice I'm getting used to it. Everyone wears full plastic rain suites to stay dry, mostly only when on a scooter, there are some pretty cool looking ones. Now, I am gonna study some Mandarin and head to bed. Long, productive and fun day.









No comments:

Post a Comment