Thursday, October 12, 2017

Longgg Weekend

Last Saturday, 爸爸, 妹妹 and I went to National Palace Museum. I learn a lot about Chinese and Taiwanese history thanks to everything being translated into English. I read a lot about different kinds of Jade and there was an interesting map of where real Jade comes from in the entire world, BC Canada was one of those on the map. I saw a lot of Jewellery and artifacts made out of Jade and they were very beautiful. Some pieces were carved into tube like shapes and carved hollow with tiny holes around the outside to see inside. I thought those were very gorgeous and would be very difficult to make. I also read a lot about Tibet which I have a little bit of an obsession with, there was a lot about Tibetan Buddhism and how it effected many other places in the world. I enjoy learning about Tibet very much. I also like seeing the ancient Chinese characters. They are very interesting and seeing how they evolved to current characters is very cool. We saw a more modern part of the Museum with art that has to do with modern day technology.Most of it looked like things from the movie Avatar. It had a very gorgeous piece with a peacock and lights for the tail making look like it moves and changing its colours. We saw the most famous artifact, a jade cabbage with a grasshopper ontop. People were crazy over it. I also saw a gorgeous painting of a peacock and 爸爸 bought me a print of it from the gift store later on. He also helped send a very pretty post card to my house back in Canada for my family there. It had a colourful print of what the building of the museum looked like from the outside so they can get an idea of where I was. We then walked fifteen minutes after to go back to the car. 爸爸 and I, after dropping 妹妹 at home went to another BBQ with my rotary club and some of their kids. I met a University student who was very helpful with Chinese and still messages me in Chinese for practice. Sadly he lives in Taipei and not Taoyuan but I will hangout with him and ask about more Chinese eventually. 
Sunday, I was brought to Taipei with two friends Ghabriel and Paloma by Ghabriels host family. We had lunch at a restaurant that was passed down through the owners family and it used to use strictly Canadian beef, I took a photo of the old poster they had about Canadian beef. I had a delicious chicken dish and a bowl of my favourite corn soup with a pastry bread on top. I'll have to remember where the restaurant is. Later, Ghabriels host mom was off to her art class and we went with his dad to Ximen Ding, a big shopping center in Taipei. We saw a store we called heaven because is was up a small staircase into a room full of stuffed animals and cartoon characters. Every stuffy you could ever want. Of every size. From bigger than me to smaller than my hand, it was awesome! We also saw a store that has all natural essential oils, I smelled them and said "Guys come here, smell this, it smell exactly like Canada." After reading the bottle I realized they were all essential oils from different types of trees in Canada. They had a Canadian flag and said "Made in Canada." Well, I sure know what Canadas woods smell like. It was a great day and We didn't get back to Taoyuan until around 10pm.
Beatrice, a Brazilian girl, and myself went out and about around the Art center near our houses and wondered for a few hours until making it to a cute bubble tea shop. We bought two pieces of cake to share because we are determined to find somewhere that sells cake up to our sweetness standards. We were then given two free bubble milk tea drinks just because the staff was super nice. They all came out one by one to add us on facebook. I got talking with one of them and he said his English was poor so we messaged in Chinese instead. Although, sometimes I have to use my translator apps when they text characters I havent yet seen. I explained that we are exchange students studying Chinese so its helpful to practice anyway. I then dragged Bia to a BBQ at my rotary counsellors house which ended up being very fun with Laura, my counsellors daughter and university student who helped me get information on her school, and her friends. We played fun card games and got along very well. We stayed quite late until all the other rotarians had left and we headed home while trying to plan out a hectic next day in Taipei. 
The plan worked on the way there and we successfully found our fellow exchange students that were already in Taipei. for the first few hours it was lovely and super fun but then with such a big group, some arguments are inevitable. Next time I will only go with a certain amount of people but it was fun anyway. We even met a lot of students from other districts. Our districts old second half, 3501, because we are 3502 but last year it was one district 3500 but changed because it was too big. Also some students from Taipei district. On the way home was when we got a little lost because a couple people thought a bus to Taoyuan picked up the train station we were at but they were wrong and we ended up going the same way Bia and I got to Taipei, which I said to do from the start but we were 30min later than my curfew but 爸爸 had assumed from the start that I would be a little late, which we wouldn't have been without the confusion. Over all it was a good day but could have been a lot less stressful and I know now that too many people isn't a good idea. Also, approving the plan with the group you go with a day or two before is a good idea. Although, everyone seems to not like planning things out as I do.
Yesterday, Wednesday was back to school after a long weekend due to Taiwans' birthday which was Tuesday. I was very tired so I didn't do much other than study and rest a bit. We went to Ama and Agongs (grandparents) house for dinner and had a delicious meal, as always and tried custard mooncakes that 媽媽 (mom) brought back from Hong Kong. Custard mooncakes and icecream mooncakes are the only kinds I like, I think. Mooncakes are made around the Mid Autumn Festival, another name is Moon Festival, which was last Wednesday. Everyone says it gets cold after this festival but its still hot to me. Today it is raining fairly hard so it is much cooler than most days but it is still 26 degrees celsius. I like rainy days. Also, Ama and Agong got an adorable picture framed plaque from the mayor for being married for 50 years. They are so cute. We still can't communicate all that well but they are such lovely people. I am very lucky to have the family I was placed in.
媽媽 today gave me beautiful gifts from Hong Kong, a gorgeous dress and T shirt, as well as a cute Peppe Pig bag and different types of pocky. Matcha, Banana and mango! Everyone knows I lovee mango. So much better here than in Canada. I am so grateful, as my little thoughts for thanksgiving, I am thankful for my amazing Taiwanese family and all they do for me.



















No comments:

Post a Comment