Saturday, August 19, 2017

Start of the Adventure

 I began travelling at 2am, starting with a fourteen hour flight headed to Hong Kong. I tried to sleep but was sadly unable to for the most of the flight. Flying out of Vancouver at night was very pretty with all the city lights shining beneath us. By the time we flew over Japan, it was just barely sunrise and the sky in the distance glowed a deep orange red colour, I also think I saw mount fuji, the only peak in Japan high enough to see at the time with all the clouds and height of our plane. We even flew right over Taiwan, where I was surprised by the height of the mountains, the many, many mountains, but I think my favourite part was flying into Hong Kong. The landing strip had water on either side and I couldn't see the ground until we were already on it. The amount of ships and boats was crazy, along with am extremely long bridge which led to nowhere, I found I really enjoy the look of a city built within the mountains.
 I then had to navigate my way through Hong Kong Iternational Airport alone, with very little help from staff I might add, and thank goodness I found the train, or else I would've missed my second plane for sure. I struggled a lot trying to get up and down all the escalaters with all my carry-on stuff. I got onto the second plane, and thank goodness there was a super nice European man that helped me fill out all the required forms and helped my get through the confusing line ups in Taoyuan International Airport. Once I got through all he line ups, we went and waited for our luggage together and he laughed at me when I didn't know how to use a trolly, then showed me how. I got through all the lines and was welcomed by a huge group of wonderful people at the airport, many Rotarians and their families, and my amazing host family, who I already love very much. Everyone is very nice and welcoming. The drive to our home was short and cute, theres a 711 right on the corner where we turn into our little community and enter the town house area where the house is much bigger than I expected, and I share a bathroom with Jasmine, my little sister.
 My host family is already teaching me so much and making me try new things within the first hour! For lunch we had rice, with many dishes, salmon, tofu, pork, a veggie I don't know the name of, clam soup with a melon-like veggie that was really good, and last but not least squid. Which all of this I was told, was bought fresh at the market in the morning. My host mother goes to the market every morning to buy fresh meats and fish. And might I add, the salmon, was insanely good. I am excited to cook as a family with them, and go to dinners at the grandparents every Saturday, which I sadly slept through Today, and already regret it, but it won't happen again, as I was just super over tired from the travelling.
 I am a happy little camper and excited to do more!






No comments:

Post a Comment