Wednesday, August 23, 2017

Canadian Girls

I have already been extremely lucky on my exchange to have such amazing people around me, and even luckier because I was able to hangout all day with a friend/tutor from back home in Canada. We spent the day wandering my city of Taoyuan and found many interesting stores and restaurants. She taught me a lot more mandarin and how to handle myself better while walking around in the crazy traffic of a big city, where by the way, pedestrians do not have the right of way, ever. I'll need to adjust to that to say the least.
Michaella told me about the crazy adventure she has in this upcoming year and warned me about more things within mine. She is on her way to Cambodia to teach English for the year, and she will take a trip back to Taiwan in November, when I will hopefully see her again. We walked around and ordered things in Mandarin (mostly she did,) which impressed the locals very much, and also made them very curious. We got soup dumplings, which were amazing, and ate them in the park of an art building just a 15 minute walk from my house. While we were sitting there an elderly man came up and told us we were pretty, he knew little English but was very good at it for his age, Michaella then greatly impressed him with her Mandarin skills and he was shocked. He hung around the park and every time he walked by he tried to introduce us to more people to show off that we were from Canada and learning Mandarin. After a while my host dad and sister met us in the park and I got to see some reallly cute dogs with them. We wandered more then went home to enjoy dinner with my host mom as well. It was a very interesting day with many learning experiences.

No comments:

Post a Comment