Friday, August 25, 2017

Mountain Town

A small town about thirty minutes outside of Taoyuan is home to a grave of a very famous Chinese soldier, where it is usually packed full of people. But being close to "winter," means there are less tourists so our clubs chairman took me and Erik, an Austrian boy from Switzerland, into this small mountain town. We tried something like tofu, made of beans, but I wasn't all that hungry. We wandered the town and saw many interesting shops and food stands. I stopped to look at almost every dog too, as usual. At one stand, where we bought peaches, there was an adorable stray dog who I began taking pictures of, he posed but was hesitant to let me pet him, the lady at the stand told us she raised him and other strays on her property in the mountains. I adore her and her little family of strays, I will one day have the same I swear.
We also went into a gorgeous temple where we were taught a lot about the traditions within the temple. Begin the day with the bell, end the day with the drum (if I remember correctly.) They also light candles to show the light to those who have lost their way. I though this one was very interesting. As well as the fact they burn inscence to show their respect to the gods, or in the case of this month, the spirits. It is the beginning of ghost festival this month which takes place in the fifth month of the Chinese year. On the fifteenth day the festival takes place. I am excited to see all the traditions within this festival. It is very interesting to learn about.
I had a great day hanging out with ET, her adorable daughter, who by the end of the day I think liked me a lot, and Erik. I am excited for more adventures.

No comments:

Post a Comment