Wednesday, February 20, 2019

Brazil post 2


Arriving in Sao Jose do Rio Preto was interesting because the airport is so small, you get off the plane onto the tarmac. I felt cool walking from the plane into arrivals on the ground. Then Gustavo and his father were there to pick me up and we went for a snack. Coxinha! Since I hadn't slept all night, when we arrived to his house I took a short nap. When I woke Gustavo took me on a walk around his neighborhood and around a little lake. Surroundin the lake is blocked off because it is over run with Capybaras! Capybaras are the size of a medium dog and are adorable! They have the second or third largest mouths in the world on any mamal so you should not get very close. They are like giant rodents and are the modt adorable creatures I have ever seen. We explored and saw many Capybaras and pretty birds! He took me to an AcaĆ­ shop and we had kiwi and strawberry acai. That evening we went for burgers and I tried a brazilian style pulled pork burger. It has three types of cheese, BBQ sauce and I added tomatoes! They serve it with fresh potato chips (not fries), they are so good! I also had Gaurana, of course. In the evening Gustavo and I were watching comedies, big mouth was one, but he didn't understand many of the references in the English version. So we also ended up watching That 70s show, Two and a half men, and Brooklyn 99.
On Friday we woke up early and headed to Olympia, a huge water park! We spent the day on extreme water slides and in huge wave pools! It was not all that sunny of a day, which is good when you are as white as I am! Most of the rides were with tubes and for two people, so it worked out quite nicely with the two of us. His parents continued to remind to to reapply sunscreen, and I don't have any more burns! The most fun ride started out by blasting you both (on a tube) up a huge hill then going in loops and bumbs till the bottom. Another one was like a U and you get dropped from one side and flown up the other then back and forth until you reach the exiting part. We tried lay down surfing as well, I only lasted a second, literally. There was also a part of the park with a small petting zoo. There were many adorable animals, lhamas, peacocks, a donkey, mother and fawn deer. My favourite though was the few tucanos! They are beautiful creatures with orange and yellow beaks and their eyes are very intense. One had deep blue eyes and the other had gorgeous purple eyes. I am obsessed, I wish I could stare at them forever, they are so mesmorizing.
We had lunch and dessert, our dessert was an ice cream cone, but inside was bregadeiro and chocolate! No ice cream! Delicious but very rich. That night we ate delicious stroganoffe with rice and strips potato chip. Soo good! I love stroganoffe, every kind!
Saturday morning Gustavo had to go to his school and afterwards his parents and I picked him up. We then went to a famour restaurant in his city, known for very Brazilian dishes. I had lemonade, which is slightly different than ours, and steak with beans, rice, tomato, onion and other Brazilian topping to which I do not know the name. We began talking about Feijuada, a traditional Brazilian meal and said it was si.ilar to what we were eating. We went grocery shopping with his parents and explored all the Brazilian things in the store and they bought me the cutest Havianas (Brazilian flip flop brand) that have a small Brazilian flag on them. For the rest of the day we relaxed, watched movies and hangout with his adorable dog, who is terrified of rain. Gustavos mother made us a yummy noodle soup dinner, again with a topping that I do not know the name of.
Sunday morning we woke up early and went to a breakfast buffet where I had many delicious fruits and bread. Pao de Queijo was one of my favourites. As well as a sour dough with very good cheese. For lunch we headed to Gustavos Grandmothers house. She has chickens that lay eggs every morning, but the monkeys always try to steal them! There were many tiny monkeys stealing food from the chickens and we got to feed them bananas! They are so cute but obnoxious it seems. His cousins and aunty and uncle were also there, his family is so sweet. Some of the nicest most welcoming people ever. I only met them once and already miss them. For lunch we ate Feijuada, and it was so good that I ate way too fast and got so full but only wanted more! I hope I will eat it again while I'm here.
In evening Gustavo and I went to Giovanas house to hangout and have drinks. Giovana is so sweet and incredibly smart. She will move to another city in March to start studying at a medical school to become a doctor. Her brother though, seems like he should move to the Kootneys and start a farm, if you know what I mean. It was so fun getting to know them. I hope to see them again one day.
The next day Gustavo and I spent some time together and then had to say goodbye. It will never get easier.























No comments:

Post a Comment